To say that there has been a dramatic change in the world of work would be an understatement. From full time, permanent employment with benefits and job security to part-time, contract, virtual jobs in a gig economy, it can be difficult to know how to carve out a career in this new landscape. If you are a job seeker, career changer or lifelong learner with varied skills sets and a diverse knowledge base, self-employment may be just what you are looking for. The trick is having a solid idea for your business and knowing how to get started. In the Peterborough community, we are fortunate to have a variety of resources that provide an array of services and opportunities. Today we will be highlighting the Greater Peterborough Innovation Cluster, a dynamic and unique organization that provide access to programs, professional partners and self-employment workshops for both physical and virtual clients.
The Innovation Cluster specializes in supporting the growth of technology-driven companies in cleantech, agtech, healthcare and digital sectors. They have two full service business incubators located in downtown Peterborough and at Trent University and provide a wide variety of unique programs and events including:
- FastStart: an entrepreneurial training partnership for youth ages 18-29
- E-Connect: a monthly forum connecting entrepreneurs with mentors, investors and advisors
- The Cube: an open-concept office space designed for easy access to talented people, ideas and resources
- Hands-On: interactive workshops designed to help youth and students explore entrepreneurship as a career option
- Growth Wheel: a visual Toolkit assists companies in making decisions and taking action
- Expert in Residence: a service whereby professions provide one to one mentorship
- Building a Successful Business: an intense interactive workshop series focusing on the business model canvas, market intelligence, market operations, financing and cash flow
- Cub’s Liar and Bear’s Liar: an annual entrepreneurial competition, similar to the CBC’s Dragon’s Den, that awards cash prizes and business support services to the two final winners
If you are looking for support entrepreneurship entrepreneurial support, networking opportunities, participatory learning and mentorship, the Greater Peterborough Innovation Cluster is a great place to start.
In future posts we will also be highlighting the Business Advisory Centre, Junior Achievement and Community Futures Peterborough.
For more information on self-employment, sign up to attend our Small Business Expert Panel during Career Week on November 8th, 2018.